[cups] Printing difficulty

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Sun Mar 22 12:58:26 PDT 2015

Assembled Wisdom!

Back in early February I inquired on this E-list about some difficulties
I had with getting a printer to respond to e.g. an lp command.  In
the past seven weeks, overcoming various difficulties, I found a
nice All-in-one printer, a Canon imageCLASS MF4700n, and, through
quite good Canon support of Linux, was able to get the appropriate
files installed, and I can now print "just fine".  I have been able
to print out various tax forms and even some .jpg pictures.  All
very nice.

Or so I would have said till yesterday, when I discovered that a
.pdf, a music part that I had downloaded from a printed music
repository IMSLP, didn't print at all what  evince  and  xpdf
showed on my system.  Instead, I got the music squished together
at the top of the page and 3/4 of the sheet covered with pitch
black toner!  !  ?  !  ?

I am hypothesizing that this is a CUPS problem.  Of course I
can't be sure.  I am going to try to Attach to this E-mail a test
page which gives demonstrates this problem.  Maybe  mailman is
configured on this E-list to let such attachments through.

I have CUPS 1.5.3 running on my Debian Wheezy system.

Any help, or suggestions, would be very much appreciated.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
    We're worried about Kabul when Detroit has