[cups] Printing difficulty

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Mon Mar 23 06:25:19 PDT 2015

A follow-up message.

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 03:58:26PM -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:
> Assembled Wisdom!

	. . . .

> Back in early February I inquired on this E-list about some difficulties
> I had with getting a printer to respond to e.g. an lp command.  In
> the past seven weeks, overcoming various difficulties, I found a
> nice All-in-one printer, a Canon imageCLASS MF4700n, and, through
> quite good Canon support of Linux, was able to get the appropriate
> files installed, and I can now print "just fine".  I have been able
> to print out various tax forms and even some .jpg pictures.  All
> very nice.
>
> Or so I would have said till yesterday, when I discovered that a
> .pdf, a music part that I had downloaded from a printed music
> repository IMSLP, didn't print at all what  evince  and  xpdf
> showed on my system.  Instead, I got the music squished together
> at the top of the page and 3/4 of the sheet covered with pitch
> black toner!  !  ?  !  ?
  	  My Attachment was deleted by the moderator, which I can
	  understand.  My description above will have to do<g>.

> I am hypothesizing that this is a CUPS problem.
         My suspicion here is heightened by the following:  I
	 ran the utility   pdftoppm   getting a big PPM file.
	 And _that_ printed just fine.   Doesn't this tell me
	 that CUPS is simply not recognizing something about my
	 original  beeth-1symph-p1.pdf file?

> I have CUPS 1.5.3 running on my Debian Wheezy system.
        Has anyone else been having similar problems with this
	admittedly very old CUPS release?

> Any help, or suggestions, would be very much appreciated.
        <G>  I keep this here for emphasis!

TIA,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
       If we can find the money to kill people, we can