[cups] Cannot get CUPS up at localhost:631

Douglas Kosovic doug at uq.edu.au
Sun May 31 20:35:54 PDT 2015

Hi Jim,

> I am in the process of moving a Dell 1130 printer to a different host PC on my local network.
> The new host had CUPS 1.5.3 running. I tried getting the printer to work, but was not successful.
> Before looking for help here, I decided I would upgrade to CUPS 2.0.2 so that cups is up to date on my system.

> Do I need to install more software on my linux system?

From CUPS 1.6.0 onwards, the cups-filters package is a prerequisite for printing on Linux, see:
    http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/cups-filters

Along with the package dependencies cups-filters has, you need to install additional files for your Dell 1130 printer,  e.g. it needs 'rastertosamsungspl' and a PPD file :
   https://github.com/martensms/dell1130-ubuntu

Cheers,
Doug