[cups] Is client.conf really deprecated on all platforms?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Nov 2 03:09:36 PST 2015

Hello,

On Oct 30 13:01 Michael Sweet wrote (excerpt):
>> On Oct 30, 2015, at 12:45 PM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:
>> On Oct 30 11:49 Michael Sweet wrote (excerpt):
>>>
>>> Direct submission to remote servers is problematic.
>>
>> Could you provide some reasons why direct submission
>> to remote CUPS servers is problematic.
> If the server is down, the network is down, the VPN is down, etc.
> then the application/user will be unable to print.  With the
> local cupsd you can queue up a job and recover from temporary
> issues much more easily, and your client software can adapt
> to the network/location more easily (e.g., home printing
> vs. work printing).

Many thanks for the information.
Now I understand the reasoning behind.

I also understand why my personal way of how I like to use
a remote CUPS server does not match here because I prefer
to get directly an error if anything fails with my currently
intended printout instead of queued jobs that may print out
at any time later unexpectedly.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)