[cups] Printing to native XPS printers using CUPS

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 13:11:17 PST 2015

On 10/11/2015 06:21 AM, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> Yes, I think that would confer linux compatibility to a large number
> of mostly business-level all-in-ones. Thank you very much, I'm not
> sure which tools are available under linux to output XPS, you already
> mentioned glibxps for rendering, I will look into that more (ideally
> should work without installing Gnome-related libraries, not just
> desktop machines).

The XPS format is from the times of Windows Vista and did not get really
popular. Is it really widely used nowadays? Does Windows actually use it
as device-independent format for network printing (as we use PDF
currently)? Are there still many printers on the market which support
only XPS as known PDL (no PDF, PS, PCL in addition)? Which manufacturers
and models?

I want to know whether it is worthwhile to create a rastertoxps print
filter to support native XPS printers or whether the time of XPS is
already over.

    Till