[cups] Printing to native XPS printers using CUPS

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 15:04:36 PST 2015

On 11/03/2015 08:23 PM, pipitas wrote:
> Also, Evince and Okular can display XPS...
>
> Overall, I think if there was a well-working XPS-to-anything print system
> capable of running on Linux, this would increase the chance for competing
> with Windows-based print servers serving Windows clients in certain
> environments, and it would probably also be beneficial for speed and
> overall performance of such an environment (because it could avoid
> required steps on the client side).

Kurt, I was thinking about generating XPS, not consuming XPS, for
supporting XPS+GDI-only printers, like Konica Minolta.

Straight-forward thought to support them is using the xpswrite output
device of Ghostscript, which would work fine on desktops and servers but
would be awkward for phones (to ship Ghostscript only for that on a
phone). So I thought on a rastertoxps filter as lightweight alternative,
pages will be embedded bitmaps but one gets the jobs printed without
diving deep into XPS. cups-filters could contain two filters then,
rastertoxps and gstoxps.

This needs some work and if there are only a few printers around or if
this species of printers is not made any more at all, it would be a
waste of time. Therefore I would like to know how many and which
printers are of this kind and whether there is perhaps also an
affordable model which my employer could give to me as test platform.

For the direction of consuming XPS (Windows client sends job in XPS) it
is no problem to use Ghostscript or GhostPDL, as this usually happens on
servers or desktops and not on phones.

    Till