[cups] Forward jobs to another print server without browsing

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Nov 12 01:59:40 PST 2015

Hello,

On Nov 11 21:59 Collins, David wrote (excerpt):
> is it possible to forward print jobs from one print server
> To another print server without browsing/polling.
> Is it possible to hit the queue on print server #1
> and have the queue forward the job to the other print server?

I think
https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4738
is a related issue.

Assume you create forwarding "raw" queues on server #1
and still have server #1 in client.conf on the clients.

Then I think at least one drawback of forwarding "raw"
queues on server #1 is that (depending on obscure
circumstances, cf. https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4738)
the clients that contact the cupsd on server #1
(via server #1 in their client.conf) can no longer
get all the printer specific options because "raw"
queues do not have a PPD file.

In other words:
I think with forwarding "raw" queues on server #1
clients that contact server #1 can get only "raw" queues
and not the "full featured" actual queues on server #2.

But I think forwarding "raw" queues on server #1
that point to a queue on server #2 do not at all work:

In my example forwarding "raw" queue called "foofwd"
that I described in
https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4738
I get all printer specific options (i.e. the PPD options)
on the local system wher I have created the "foofwd" queue:
root at host1# lpoptions -h localhost -p foofwd -l

Resolution/Resolution : *600 ...
MediaType/Media Type : *Auto PlainPaperL PlainPaper ...
InputSlot/Paper Source: *Auto Manual Cas1 Cas2 Cas3 ...
OutputBin/Paper Destination: *Auto TrayA TrayB TrayC
Duplex/Duplex: *None DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble
BindEdge/BindingEdge: *Left Top
Booklet/Booklet Printing: *None Left
Collate/Collate: False *True Group StapleCollate ...
StapleLocation/Staple Location: None *TopLeft Top ...
PageSize/Page Size: Letter Legal A5 *A4 ...

But I cannot access that "foofwd" queue from another host
when I contact directly the cupsd on the host where the
"foofwd" queue exists:
root at host2# lpoptions -h host1 -p foofwd -l
lpoptions: Unable to get PPD file for foofwd: Not Found

root at host2# lpstat -h host1 -p foofwd
lpstat: Unknown destination "foofwd"!

As far as I see this means having forwarding "raw" queues
on server #1 with a DeviceURI of a queue on server #2
with server #1 in client.conf on clients does not work.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)