[cups] How eliminate or remove incorrect constant "Printer out of paper" message? (Possible to DISABLE certain messages?)

Christian Seberino cseberino at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 09:36:04 PST 2015

Michael

Hello.  You kindly chatted with me last month about a "Printer out of
paper" CUPS error message I was getting on my 2 printers at work that never
went away.  I wondered if I could ask you one last question about that.

I tried multiple printer drivers for these 2 printers including the generic
Postscript driver and the problem persisted.  Does that mean there is just
something special about these Xerox printers that doesn't play nice with
CUPS that no printer driver will fix?

When you suggested the solution must lie in the printer driver, were you
suggesting someone would literally need to write a printer driver that kept
resetting the state information or something as blunt and crude as that to
fix this darn stubborn printers?  Is that what it would take?

If you had any other ideas or had some guidance on how to debug these
drivers I'd be happy to do some grunt work for you to investigate.  Maybe I
could help you somehow.

Sincerely,

Chris

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> Christian,
>
> > On Oct 28, 2015, at 4:03 PM, Christian Seberino <cseberino at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I was just reading some of the PPD file and it says printer must be
> duplex
> > to send messages.  Can I turn off duplex in PPD file!? Would that work?
> :)
>
> Ah, no, I don't think that will make any difference...

Christian Seberino, Ph.D.
Phone: (936) 828-8747
Email: cseberino at gmail.com