[cups] Configuration of Client-Side Avahi browsing

Alexander Hofmann alexander.hofmann at new-h.de
Mon Nov 23 05:07:34 PST 2015

Hi,

I'm currently trying to find the portion of code adding hundreds of
printers to my "Print Document"-Dialog by querying Avahi. I first
accused GTK of doing this, but it seems that cups now has this feature
it self...

While it might be helpful in some cases, I'm tired of searching my 3
installed printers alongside of hundrets of other on the site and even
off-site via VPN. I can disable "avahi-daemon" or disable it's DBus
interface which will stop this, but I'd be more satisfied if I could
configure this directly. It's also not related to "cups-browsed" - it's
not running (I don't even have the service installed). It's possible
that I'm completely on the wrong track here, maybe I'm better off asking
package maintainers etc, but still, maybe you can help...

So, my questions are:
a) does cups (version 1.7.2 as in Linux Min 17.2), without the
browsed-daemon, have the feature of searching and including Avahi-based
printers and adding them dynamically to the list? I checked the source
of "dnssd" and "mdns" backends, they utilize Avahi, but removing them
doesn't change anything
b) Is there any possibility to ask cups who actually added the printer
to the list? I.e., if some Mint-Specific daemon caused the problem -
could I ask cups to tell me the process or script etc. that added the
printer?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Alexander Hofmann