[cups-devel] [LOW] STR #4738: "lpadmin ... -o printer-is-shared=true" does not work for ipp queues without visible reason

Johannes Meixner noreply at cups.org
Fri Nov 6 06:01:02 PST 2015

[STR New]

I have a remote CUPS server with a queue "foo".

On the local system I create a raw queue that only forwards
to the queue "foo" on the remote CUPS server:
# lpadmin -p foofwd -v ipp://server.domain/printers/foo -E
# echo $?
0

I can print from the local system via the local foofwd queue.

Now I like to share that foofwd queue on my local system:
# lpadmin -p foofwd -o printer-is-shared=true
# echo $?
0

In /var/log/cups/error_log (with LogLevel debug) there is:
D ... CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer ipp://localhost:631/printers/foofwd
D ... cupsdIsAuthorized: username="root"
I ... Setting foofwd printer-is-shared to 1 (was 0.)
I Saving printers.conf...

But in /etc/cups/printers.conf the foofwd queue is still "Shared No"

In contrast "printer-is-shared=true" works for a "raw" queue
where the DeviceUri is not "ipp://...":
# lpadmin -p bar -v socket://dummy.example.org -E
it has by default "Shared Yes" in /etc/cups/printers.conf
and I can toggle it as I like with
# lpadmin -p bar -o printer-is-shared=false
versus
# lpadmin -p bar -o printer-is-shared=true

I found that this behaviour was already reported in
https://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups/2014-June/026272.html
but without an aswer that explains why CUPS
does not share an ipp print queue.

Therefore I report it now as a bug because
ther are thre issues with that behaviour:

1)
When "lpadmin ... -o printer-is-shared=..." does not work,
it should at least report an error or warning.

2)
"man lpadmin" does not tell anything that
sharing an ipp print queue does not work.

3)
https://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-2.1/sharing.html
does not tell anything that sharing an ipp print queue does not work.

4)
There is no debug message in /var/log/cups/error_log
that could help to dind out what the reason is
why sharing an ipp print queue does not work.
Actually the messages in /var/log/cups/error_log
seem to show that it has worked:
"Setting foofwd printer-is-shared to 1 (was 0.)"

I assume there is a good reason why sharing an ipp print queue
does not work but then this reason should be at least documented.

Additionally it is perhaps a minor bug that lpadmin does
neither show an error message nor return an error exit code
in this case.

Link: https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4738
Version: 2.1.0