[cups] Is client.conf really deprecated on all platforms?

Sebastiaan Lokhorst sebastiaanlokhorst at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 08:13:54 PDT 2015

Michael, thanks for your response and explanation!

This isn't a matter of "abandoning the server/client model", this is an
> issue of better allowing the client to discover the server(s) and
> printer(s) to use.

What I meant with "the server/client model" is the current possibility of a
"dumb client" which connects to a cupsd server (using client.conf), but
cannot discover or configure anything independently. Will that option cease
to exist eventually, so every client will have to run its own cupsd
instance?

By the way, I completely agree with that. It is better if the client has
some abilities to discover and configure on its own. The problems you
mention sound familiar.

> We introduced new client APIs for applications and toolkits to use in CUPS
> 1.4, but so far they have not been adopted.  Future versions of these APIs
> will also include LDAP support in addition to the current local and
> Bonjour/DNS-SD shared printer support, allowing for much more flexible and
> reliable discovery of printers by clients.

Sounds great!

Thanks again,
Sebastiaan