[cups] Is client.conf really deprecated on all platforms?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Oct 30 08:49:27 PDT 2015

> On Oct 30, 2015, at 11:13 AM, Sebastiaan Lokhorst <sebastiaanlokhorst at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael, thanks for your response and explanation!
> This isn't a matter of "abandoning the server/client model", this is an
>> issue of better allowing the client to discover the server(s) and
>> printer(s) to use.
> What I meant with "the server/client model" is the current possibility of a
> "dumb client" which connects to a cupsd server (using client.conf), but
> cannot discover or configure anything independently. Will that option cease
> to exist eventually, so every client will have to run its own cupsd
> instance?

You'll always be able to use the CUPS_SERVER environment variable to specify an alternate "default" server, however the CUPS design has always been to have a local cupsd that handles communications with the remote server or printer, doing filtering as needed.  Direct submission to remote servers is problematic.