[cups] Handling of "Installable Options" in user applications

Michael Weghorn m.weghorn at posteo.de
Thu Oct 1 13:53:19 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-01 18:58, Jacob Marble wrote:
> I have written some print dialog code that follows the InstallableOptions
> guidelines. In case you're looking for a stopgap, I can say that it
> wouldn't be hard to write a script to:
>
> 1) read a PPD file with properly-set InstallableOptions
> 2) map UIConstraints related to InstallableOptions
> 3) remove both the InstallableOptions group and other options that conflict
> 4) deploy the "stripped" PPD to user workstations
>
> Just an idea.

Thank you very much for the idea.

I was in fact considering doing a similar thing. In our environment, the
PPD files are stored on central servers and automatically downloaded
each time the printers are set up, which currently takes place on login.
It would be possible to have the respective script also manipulate the
PPD files accordingly.
However this might take a while - depending on the number  of printers
to set up on the system. In our situation this would therefore prolong
the login process - which we want to avoid.

Currently, this is no urgent problem for us. We have removed those
options from the application that users use to set their default values.

I was also interested in knowing how applications should handle this in
general in order to make a consistent behaviour within and across
applications possible.

Kind regards,
Michael