[cups] Cups / CentOS-6

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Oct 9 06:10:08 PDT 2015

Douglas,

> On Oct 9, 2015, at 2:21 AM, Douglas Kosovic <doug at uq.edu.au> wrote:
> You mention you are using IPP to connect to the printers. Due to issues with printer implementations of IPP, it is generally recommended to use port 9100 socket connection instead with CUPS.

Generally speaking, any printer made in the last 5 years (certainly any printer advertising AirPrint support) has excellent IPP support.  That's one of the reasons we are advancing IPP/1.1 and 2.0 to full standard status (demonstrated interoperability and widespread implementation...)

That said, if this queue is using a vendor driver, it *may* work better with socket if the driver needs to interrogate the printer over the data channel - IPP is unidirectional for print data while socket is bidirectional.