[cups] CUPS + VPN

Lisa Marie Maginnis lisam at fsf.org
Wed Oct 14 11:32:08 PDT 2015

Hello,

We are having issues with CUPS and shared printers over our VPN. The issue is that if a user is not on the VPN when CUPS starts, they are unable to see printers until they restart CUPS by hand. It crossed my mind to add a restart of CUPS to the scripts that run when a client connects to the VPN, but I wanted to ask around to see if there is a CUPS only solution to try first.

Clients are configured by adding the following line to /etc/cups/client.conf:
ServerName printserver.example.com

Is there a way to increase the polling time of the remote cups server? Or maybe a better way to configure CUPS clients for using a remote cups server that might not be there when the system first boots?

Thanks!

--
~Lisa Marie Maginnis
Senior System Administrator