[cups] CUPS + VPN

Alex Korobkin korobkin+cups at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 22:37:23 PDT 2015

I have an if-up.d hook script for that. It tries to guess if you're
connected to the enterprise network and changes ServerName to printserver
or localhost in client.conf. It doesn't restart CUPS though, I'm not sure
why you have to restart CUPS in your environment.

This approach doesn't solve all the problems, though, because many Linux
apps don't re-read the list of printers after they have already started.

LibreOffice or Firefox, for example. If you have them open when moving from
home to work, or connecting to VPN, you will see the same list of printers
all the time until you close and reopen the application.

-Alex

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Lisa Marie Maginnis <lisam at fsf.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are having issues with CUPS and shared printers over our VPN. The issue
> is that if a user is not on the VPN when CUPS starts, they are unable to
> see printers until they restart CUPS by hand. It crossed my mind to add a
> restart of CUPS to the scripts that run when a client connects to the VPN,
> but I wanted to ask around to see if there is a CUPS only solution to try
> first.
>
> Clients are configured by adding the following line to
> /etc/cups/client.conf:
> ServerName printserver.example.com
>
> Is there a way to increase the polling time of the remote cups server? Or
> maybe a better way to configure CUPS clients for using a remote cups server
> that might not be there when the system first boots?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ~Lisa Marie Maginnis
> Senior System Administrator