[cups] CUPS + VPN

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Oct 15 11:09:00 PDT 2015

Alex,

> On Oct 15, 2015, at 1:41 PM, Alex Korobkin <korobkin+cups at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Michael,
>
> wrt PS: What does the adoption of this newer API entail exactly?

For applications, it just means using cupsEnumDests instead of cupsGetDests.

> Is there a
> way to use a central print server for multiple Linux clients similar to
> client.conf approach?

The central server approach still works.  cupsEnumDests uses local queues plus those discovered via Bonjour/DNS-SD, so all you need to do share the printers from the server and/or maybe configure DNS records (for printers that should only be accessible via the VPN).

Longer term we are looking at adding back LDAP support for shared printers, but so far we haven't had a lot of requests for that...