[cups-devel] cups-devel Digest, Vol 23, Issue 18

pipitas pipitas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 16:39:34 PDT 2015

Hi Mike

> Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 08:14:17 -0400
> From: Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com>
> Subject: Re: [cups-devel] [ipptool] How do I request stapled output?

I'm not sure I understand even a single half of your two sentences fully...

> The finishings attribute is an enumeration

Yes, that's what the print device also replied when I queried it. However,
looking at
https://www.ietf.org/assignments/ipp-registrations/ipp-registrations.xml
and searching for "staple-top-right" on that page, I find two lines,
stating different things (??):

   finishing-template staple-top-right name(MAX) | type2 keyword [PWG5100.1]

and

    finishings 22 staple-top-right 1setOf type2 enum [RFC2911]

(The first is under the headline* "Keyword Attribute Values ... Reference
[RFC2911]"*, the second under the headline* "Enum Attribute Values ...
Reference [RFC2911]"*.)

I'm confused now. Can you help to un-confuse me again? (Maybe I need to
grokk the difference between "finishings" and "finishing-template" first,
which I haven't yet...)

> - ipptool is mapping the pre-standard vendor enum to its symbolic name
> (cups prefix).

What exactly does this remark mean? What do you mean with "pre-standard
vendor enum", what do you mean with "cups prefix"?

> Right now ipptool doesn't map symbolic names in the other direction

Since I don't get the meaning of your previous remark, I also don't get
this one.

> - arguably that is a bug, so please file one at:
>
>     https://www.cups.org/str.php

Ok, done. Even though I didn't understand  your comments.

And I'll make sure it is fixed asap.

Thanks.

Can you please confirm (or negate+help me to correct), that the two ATTR
lines:

       GROUP job-attributes-tag
       ATTR keyword sides two-sided-short-edge
       ATTR enum finishings staple-top-right

in my *.test file were basically correct?

And that the fact they didn't work may be either an ipptool-bug or a bug in
the printer's IPP implementation?