[cups-devel] [UNKN] STR #4712: Toner Saturation for zjs-printer with cups and Gs9.06=nok; Gs 8.7=ok

Thomas WALTHER noreply at cups.org
Sun Sep 6 14:23:32 PDT 2015

[STR New]

This bug I copied from Ghostscript-Bugzilla (Bug 696179)  to cups-bugzilla.
Hin-Tak Leung vom Gs-bugzilla recommended me to shift, see below.

On my old system (6 years old Debian 6 + cups 1.4.4-7+squeeze5 +
ghostscript 8.71~dfsg2-9+squeeze1 my zjs-printer Minolta MC2300DL is
running perfectly with Rick Richardsons foo2zjs-driver from
http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/  . Now on Debian8 (with cups 1.7.5-11+deb8u1 and
ghostscript 9.06~dfsg-2+deb8u1) there is too much toner on printout. Two
scanned test-prints are attached. The same test page, printed once with old
Debian6 and once with Debian8. The new one is darker and small letters are
almost not readable. Rick wrote in an email, that this is a saturation bug
occuring in Ghostscript V9 only, however not in Gs V8 (btw: Black areas on
Deb-6 testpage are not filled correctly due to empty toner cartridge, no
bug, sorry). My question as a user: Is there a workaround possible ? Shall
I replace a Gs-V9-file by a Gs-V8 file or a cups V1.7.5-file by a cups
V1.4.4.7-file ? Or shall I replace a line in a file ? Thanks for support in
advance.
- --------------------

 Hin-Tak Leung 2015-09-06 00:44:15 PDT:
Adding '-dUseFastColor' to your gs 9 command line may help you get a
behavior closer to gs 8's. If that works for you, read what it does in the
doc.
- ---------------------

Hi Hin-Tak, thanks for quick answer. In Debian8 (with cups 1.7.5-11+deb8u1
and ghostscript 9.06~dfsg-2+deb8u1) I added "dUseFastColor" to
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf, followed by /etc/init.d/cups/ restart.
testpage-debian8_01.jpg (attached to my comment yesterday) stays unchanged.
Same with "-dUseFastColor".

 Hin-Tak Leung 2015-09-06 05:07:30 PDT
To be honest, I think you mis-filed this. If you had filed this under CUPS
driver it would have gone to Till, who has a better chance of seeing what's
wrong with the zjs driver's color.
BTW, I believe the zjs driver is driven through some shell script wrapper
foo2zjs-wrapper and foo2zjs-pstops, and you need to edit those. Editing
cups config has not effect on the zjs driver's behavior, as far as I know.

Link: https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4712
Version: 1.7.5