[cups-devel] Communication between IPP printer and "ipp" CUPS backend

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 10:07:59 PDT 2015

[ Cross-posting because I do not know ehich list is the better for
   this ]

Hi,

I have overtaken maintainership on the ippusbxd IPP-over-USB support
daemon (hosted now here: https://github.com/tillkamppeter/ippusbxd/).

Now I have done several tests and bug fixes using the HP DeskJet Ink
Advantage 2540, a USB multi-function device which also does IPP via WiFi
and via IPP-over-USB.

The printer prints reliably via WiFi, conventional USB (using "hp"
backend of HPLIP) and when doing IPP-over-USB but printing with ipptool
and not with the "ipp" CUPS backend. With the "ipp" CUPS backend I can
print something like 3 or 4 one-page LibreOffice jobs and then the
printer stops working, whereas with ipptool I do not get it stopping. It
prints and prints and prints, ...

The difference between the "ipp" backend and ipptool is what
communication happens between the client and the printer. ipptool sends
the job without any other communication in parallel until the job is
completely sent out and the answer (with job URI/ID) is received. The
"ipp" tool does a lot of conversations in parallel, like checking the
progress of the job, the ink levels, ... I have already tried to add
"&waitjob=false" to the device URI for using the "ipp" backend, making
the backend stop as soon as the job is sent and communicate less this
way, but I still get the printer stopping in a middle of a job.

By the way, command line of ipptool is

ipptool ipp://localhost:60000/ipp/print -d
filetype=application/octet-stream -d filename=`pwd`/printout-bashrc.gz
print-job.test

The file printout-bashrc.gz is the result of printing ~/.bashrc with
CUPS and HPLIP but capturing the output into a file and "gzip"ping it.

In the "ipp" backend case I use an HPLIP-PPD-based CUPS queue with a
device URI like

ipp://localhost:60000/ipp/print

or

ipp://localhost:60000/ipp/print&waitjob=false

In both cases ippusbxd is binding to port 60000 on localhost on both
IPv4 and IPv6, running with the command line

./ippusbxd -d -v 03f0 -m c211 -s BR54BFB02C05XK -P 60000 2>&1 | tee log

The codes after -v, -m, and -s are printer specific, they are USB vendor
ID, USB product ID, and the serial number. -P is for requesting port
60000 and -d makes ippusbxd in the foreground with debug output.

I am using my 1.22 release of ippusbxd.

ippusbxd starts in a loop waiting for requests from the client on
localhost:60000. If a request comes in it starts a thread for it,
immediately continuing to listen for further requests, allowing several
requests to be handled in parallel. The request handler thread starts a
conversation with the printer, passing on the client's request to the
printer via USB and waiting for the printer's answer on USB, passing it
on to the client on localhost:60000. It repeats in a loop if the client
continues the communication sending new packets until the client stops.

One sees in the debug output that printing via the "ipp" backend
generates something like three or four parallel conversations, one being
the transfer of the job data. ipptool establishes only one single
conversation.

If everything is OK (job gets completely printed) every client's request
receives an answer from the printer and a conversation always ends with
an answer from the printer. All communication except the upload of the
print job data into the printer is done vis Content-Length, the data
upload is done via Chunked. The data transfer is answered with the job
URI and ID.

If the printer stops, the page (in case of multiple pages the last page)
is printed only half-way. In the debug info one can see that the full
job data got uploaded and the closing blob for an HTTP package in
chunked mode (30 0d 0a 0d 0a, "0\r\n\r\n") is also sent, but the printer
never answers to this. The thread carrying this conversation is waiting
until timing out. Parallel conversations still continue to happen. If
the device URI is without "&waitjob=false" the job does not get
dequeued. The printer never finishes printing the page and after some
minutes it times out internally, ejecting the half-printed page.

This kind of stop does only happen with ippusbxd, not when printing via
WiFi.

Now my question is whether I do everything correctly, especially whether
the assumption that communication with an IPP printer is actually always
started by a request from the client which gets answered by the printer
and then continuing this way until the conversation ends with the answer
of the printer, allowing several of these conversations in parallel?

Is there no way for example that the printer can start a conversation
and if I ignore that (have no loop listening on the USB of the printer
and grabbing the data there) a printer-internal, small buffer fills up
and the printer blocks? And if I grab data from the printer's USB, do I
have to answer to prevent the printer from blocking? Can one set the
printer into a mode not starting such conversations?

Is there a limit of parallel conversations and the "ipp" backend perhaps
exceeds it? Can I check somehow before starting a conversation whether
there is still "a slot free"?

Any other idea what can be happening here?

Thanks in advance.

    Till