[cups] Genicom 4450XT

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Sat Apr 2 09:22:58 PDT 2016

> Am 02.04.2016 um 06:41 schrieb scott <svetter at ameritech.net>:
>
>  I have a Genicom 4450XT dot matrix printer which has been long out of support.  It's still perfectly usable and need to use it periodically.  I've tried some of the generic printer definitions for it and even some of the old dot matrix printer definitions with out the printer working properly.  Is there some way I can create my own definition for it or do you have a suggestion on what other definitions would work?
>
> The emulations that this printer has is: ANSI Standard X3. 64-1979, Printronix P Series, IBM Proprinter, and Dataproducts type protocols.
>
> Should also mention that this printer would be used from OpenSuSE Linux.  And this printer does not have the networking feature installed so I have to use the parallel interface.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Scott

The foomatic-rip package from open printing contains – among many other things – a cups filter and a PPD for printers
that speak the IBM proprinter protocol.
This filter converts all input formats accepted by cups to the appropriate graphic images and commands.

The OpenSuSE distribution should provide the installable packages needed (rpm format, as far as I know).

Helge