[cups] hp 2820 / cups 2.1.3

Christopher Barry christopher.r.barry at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 13:50:06 PDT 2016

Greetings, for some weird reason I can't get cups to print to this
printer anymore. The printer was physically having issues, and I had
deleted the printer from the configuration. I have since fixed the
printer, but can't configure it again.

system-config-printer starts and shows the printer in it's list
for network printer. I select it, connection type says AppSocket/HP
JetDirect, I click forward, a dialog appears saying 'Searching for
Drivers' for a few seconds until it outputs the following:

No ID match for device socket://192.168.111.150:
MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP Color LaserJet
2820;CMD:PJL,PML,MLC,PCL,POSTSCRIPT,PCLXL;DES:Hewlett-Packard Color
LaserJet 2820; No ID match for device socket://192.168.111.150:9100:
MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP Color LaserJet
2820;CMD:PJL,PML,MLC,PCL,POSTSCRIPT,PCLXL;DES:Hewlett-Packard Color
LaserJet 2820;

The 'Searching...' dialog returns again for a bit longer before going
away, with the 'Select Device' dialog hanging forever with a spinning
cursor. Nothing else gets output to the terminal.

I must kill the job in another terminal to stop it.

Now, cups and system-config-printer are likely not at all related, and
you probably want me to use something else like my browser to
localhost:631. Problem is I can't save anything that way, and I am
loathe to run my browser as root or login to a web page as root.

What should I do?

--
Regards,
Christopher