[cups] hp 2820 / cups 2.1.3

Christopher Barry christopher.r.barry at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 16:37:57 PDT 2016

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 23:51:55 +0100
Brian Potkin <claremont102 at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon 04 Apr 2016 at 16:50:06 -0400, Christopher Barry wrote:
>

>> Greetings, for some weird reason I can't get cups to print to this
>> printer anymore. The printer was physically having issues, and I had
>> deleted the printer from the configuration. I have since fixed the
>> printer, but can't configure it again.
>>
>> system-config-printer starts and shows the printer in it's list
>> for network printer. I select it, connection type says AppSocket/HP
>> JetDirect, I click forward, a dialog appears saying 'Searching for
>> Drivers' for a few seconds until it outputs the following:
>>
>> No ID match for device socket://192.168.111.150:
>> MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP Color LaserJet
>> 2820;CMD:PJL,PML,MLC,PCL,POSTSCRIPT,PCLXL;DES:Hewlett-Packard Color
>> LaserJet 2820; No ID match for device socket://192.168.111.150:9100:
>> MFG:Hewlett-Packard;MDL:HP Color LaserJet
>> 2820;CMD:PJL,PML,MLC,PCL,POSTSCRIPT,PCLXL;DES:Hewlett-Packard Color
>> LaserJet 2820;
>>

>> The 'Searching...' dialog returns again for a bit longer before going
>> away, with the 'Select Device' dialog hanging forever with a spinning
>> cursor. Nothing else gets output to the terminal.
>>
>> I must kill the job in another terminal to stop it.
>>
>> Now, cups and system-config-printer are likely not at all related,
>> and you probably want me to use something else like my browser to
>> localhost:631. Problem is I can't save anything that way, and I am
>> loathe to run my browser as root or login to a web page as root.
>>
>> What should I do?
>
>If you were using Debian I would advise:
>
>Install the printer-driver-postscript-hp package, search the output of
>'lpinfo -m' for 'Color LaserJet 2800' and get the *.ppd portion of the
>line. Then
>
>  lpadmin -p hp2820 -v socket://192.168.111.150 -E -m
> postscript-hp:.....
>
>Regards,
>
>Brian.

Thanks Brian,

I actually am using debian sid, and attempting to install that (or
hplip) it gags with:

E: Conf Broken perl-base:amd64
E: Fatal, conflicts violated perl-modules-5.22:amd64
E: Conf Broken perl-modules-5.22:amd64
E: Fatal, conflicts violated perl-modules-5.22:amd64

both of:

$ apt-get --fix-{broken,missing} install

show no errors however. I was thinking that certain .*:i386 packages I
have installed may be part of the issue, but I'm not entirely sure how
to debug this.

whole output here:
http://pastebin.com/9CEiU7f4

attempting to manually remove these 5 slated for removal:
libhttp-server-simple-perl libperl5.18 libwww-mechanize-perl
perl-modules shutter

gags with a similar dump as the pastebin.

Trying to manually install perl-modules:

[-][~]# apt-get -s install perl-modules
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 perl-modules : Depends: perl-base (>= 5.20.2-3+deb8u4) but 5.18.2-7 is
to be installed Breaks: perl (< 5.20.2~) but 5.18.2-7 is to be installed

I realize this is unrelated to cups, and OT, so please forgive and
ignore if you prefer.

Thanks

--
Regards,