[cups] Printing Failure under new Debian Jessie Installation

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Sun Apr 10 08:34:52 PDT 2016

Assembled Wisdom!

I have newly installed Debian Jessie(a real ordeal!) and now my
printing doesn't work.  I have used the mix of  http://localhost:631/admin
and lpadmin that has worked in the past.  And I have used the command
    lp IRS-4868.pdf
to print out a large(9389172) file from the IRS.  I get a box showing the
slow progress of the printing: pages 1 . . . pages 4, and the indication is
that printing is proceeding successfully.   But no paper comes out of my
printer!  I've tried also to print a very short text file; again no paper
comes out!

The printer is a  Canon imageCLASS MF4770n, and it worked fine under  Wheezy .

Any help/suggestions will be gratefully received!

Alan