[cups] IP110 printer left margin too small Kubuntu 16.04

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Wed Apr 13 06:25:24 PDT 2016

In stalled my IP110 in Kubunt/KDE 16.04 using the script provided by Canon.

This driver hasn't been updated by Canon since september 2014.

It used to work for me in Kubuntu 14.10.

When I print, I get a left-margin on all prints that is about 1cm too
small, and a right margin that is about 1cm too large so a displacement
to the left of about 1cm.

The printer in Kubuntu 14.10 was not installed by default. I found that
it was already installed in 16.04, apparently, since after installing I
now had two printers.

Both "drivers" do the same thing.

I then tried removing both printers from the KDE configuration dialog.
That seemed to work.

When I tried to reinstall the driver using the script (./install.sh in
that directory) it seems to register the printer but then tries to
restart cups, and this hangs:

<fail> -- it did hang but now it finished.

Maybe I should have waited longer but what I did in the end was
uininstall cups with apt remove --purge cups*, and then reinstalled it.

Uninstalling also failed because "systemctl stop cups.path" hung, and
"systemctl restart cups.service" also hung. Eventually I removed
cups.service from some /etc directory and eventually the uninstall
completed. Then I reinstalled and reinstalled the driver. It hung again
for a while but apparently finished.

Now in KDE the driver is persisently available (the printer). What used
to happen was that the driver would show up in the screen (the printer)
but when I exited and returned, it was empty, and the display showed two
captions such as "PrinterName" - that sort of thing, it seemed like
captions that ought to be filled with something but that showed its
default text. Two of them.

Also uinstalling/removing the printers from KDE did not clear those
printers' entries in /etc/cups.

So I mean that after removing the printers at first, and reinstalling it
using the script, the driver would not persisently keep showing up
probably because the cups daemon or service needed to be restarted for
that, but that hung for long periods of time.

I never waited that out, I waited at least a minute for it.

Now having reinstalled and being successful in that, the print margin
problem is still the same.

----------------------------

So to recap, apart from my driver / printer
uninstallation/reinstallation troubles:

I am pretty sure that in KDE 4 with Kubuntu 14.10 I never had this issue.
Now in KDE 5 with Kubuntu 16.04 I do have this issue.

The driver itself did not change, nor the installer package, still the
same file.

There is a horizontal displacement on any printed page from any
application of about 1cm to the left on A4 paper.

As if printing with a negative margin (in addition to what the
program/application does).

The CUPS version is:

2.1.3-4

Dpkg -l cups* | grep ii:

ii  cups                      2.1.3-4        amd64
   Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - PPD/driver support, web interface
ii  cups-browsed              1.8.3-2ubuntu2 amd64
   OpenPrinting CUPS Filters - cups-browsed
ii  cups-client               2.1.3-4        amd64
   Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client programs (SysV)
ii  cups-common               2.1.3-4        all
   Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - common files
ii  cups-core-drivers         2.1.3-4        amd64
   Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - PPD-less printing
ii  cups-daemon               2.1.3-4        amd64
   Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - daemon
ii  cups-filters              1.8.3-2ubuntu2 amd64
   OpenPrinting CUPS Filters - Main Package
ii  cups-filters-core-drivers 1.8.3-2ubuntu2 amd64
   OpenPrinting CUPS Filters - PPD-less printing
ii  cups-ppdc                 2.1.3-4        amd64
   Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - PPD manipulation utilities
ii  cups-server-common        2.1.3-4        all
   Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server common files

dpkg -l *cups | grep ii: (minus cups)

ii  python3-cups          1.9.73-0ubuntu2 amd64
   Python3 bindings for CUPS

Printer driver:

ii  cnijfilter2               5.00-1         amd64
   IJ Printer Driver for Linux.

It appears there has been a regression, but I do not know what or why.

Direct question: can I manually 'displace the thing back'?

Is there some setting where I can just displace everything to the right
apart from increasing the left margin in the settings dialog for the
printer?

I mean, if I do that, I am not sure what is going to happen to the right
margin.

Kudos, Bart.