[cups] Help with double sided printing

Jeffrey M Taffuri jtaffuri at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 12:28:00 PDT 2016

I'm using Linux Mint 17 and a Brother MCF-J835DW printer and for a week
now have been spending hours searching and using reams of paper to try
to figure out why double sided printing is no longer working for me.  If
anyone can please offer some help I will send what ever logs or files
you want.  I've looked at all kinds of conf and ppd files and I can't
see any problems.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer as well as the driver and
nothing helps.

The printer and associated scanner work fine it's just that I lost
ability to print double sided.  No matter what application I try to use
the setting is there I set it for double sided but what ever is
translated to the printer it only prints single sided.  It worked fine
since the first day I installed Linux just stopped working last week.

I even tried lp -o sides=two-sided-long-edge test.txt and it printed
single sided.

If I boot from a live cd the double sided printing works.  If I do it
manually at the printer the double sided works fine.