[cups] Help wanted printing to a SCSI printer via an Adaptec SCSI Card 2910

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Mon Apr 18 09:54:46 PDT 2016

> Am 18.04.2016 um 17:16 schrieb Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo at gmail.com>:
>
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:12 AM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 04/18/2016 12:10 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
>>
>>> I believe the SCSI backend was picked up by the cups-filters project.
>>> But I don't recall whether it worked with those printers or not... :/
>>>

>> The scsi backend did not get into cups-filters, only the parallel and
>> serial backends made it to there.
>

> Thank you both of you for the replies. I see, if it was really only this
> one file I will see if I can compile it myself as a custom backend for
> experimental use.
> The goal is to enable people with these printers to migrate from their
> older Macs to different OSes.
>
> Any other hints or things to keep in mind, please feel free to add, I'll
> post my results also.
>
> Regards,
> Gernot Hassenpflug
>

>>   Till

Instead of compiling the scsi.c cups backend (and  the scsi-linux.c if needed), perhaps you
consider looking for USB to SCSI adapters for the respective hardware and OS.
This because most of the deviations from the "standard USB protocol“ can be handled
by the usb quirks approach provided by cups, but – from my (though a couple of years old) experience
with SCSI – cards there are lots of vendor specific peculiarities with SCSI controllers which sometimes
may be hard to represent by software.

Helge