[cups] Help wanted printing to a SCSI printer via an Adaptec SCSI Card 2910

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 15:35:47 PDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 1:54 AM, Helge Blischke <helgeblischke at web.de>
wrote:

> > Am 18.04.2016 um 17:16 schrieb Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo at gmail.com
> >:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:12 AM, Till Kamppeter <
> till.kamppeter at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> The scsi backend did not get into cups-filters, only the parallel and
> >> serial backends made it to there.
> >

> > Thank you both of you for the replies. I see, if it was really only this
> > one file I will see if I can compile it myself as a custom backend for
> > experimental use.
> > The goal is to enable people with these printers to migrate from their
> > older Macs to different OSes.
> >
> > Any other hints or things to keep in mind, please feel free to add, I'll
> > post my results also.
>
> Hello Helge,

> Instead of compiling the scsi.c cups backend (and  the scsi-linux.c if
> needed), perhaps you
> consider looking for USB to SCSI adapters for the respective hardware and
> OS.
> This because most of the deviations from the "standard USB protocol“ can
> be handled
> by the usb quirks approach provided by cups, but – from my (though a
> couple of years old) experience
> with SCSI – cards there are lots of vendor specific peculiarities with
> SCSI controllers which sometimes
> may be hard to represent by software.

Thank you for the input, that would be a good consideration also, for a
slightly different experiment (there are several variations I am
considering).
I am not sure it will fit with the current experiment: the driver in the
old MacOS7 (guest system under Baslisk II) is a SCSI driver for the
printer, so thought it will be simplest to have the device as a SCSI in the
host linux system.
Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug