[cups-devel] When to use -dNOMEDIAATTRS when calling Ghostscript

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 14:09:30 PDT 2016

Hi,

what is the original intention of -dNOMEDIAATTRS on Ghostscript calls
for CUPS filters or drivers?

Do I have to call it from all Ghostscript calls out of the CUPS filter
chain, independent which driver type (Raster, Ghostscript built-in,
...), because the pdftopdf filter is taking care of the page size and
other media attributes? Or only for Ghostscript calls with "cups" output
device (Ghostscript call in gstoraster filter)?

Especially there can be the following calls of Ghostscript:

- gstopdf: Call of Ghostscript with "pdfwrite" output device to turn
PostScript input data to PDF to feed it into pdftopdf
- gstoraster: Call of ghostscript with the "cups" device to turn PDF
output from pdftopdf into Raster for rasterto... CUPS printer drivers or
IPP Everywhere printers
- gstopxl, foomatic-rip, ...: Call of Ghostscript with a built-in
printer driver, like "pxlmono" for example, to turn PDF from pdftopdf
into the printer's native language.

In which cases I have to supply -dNOMEDIAATTRS?

    Till