[cups-devel] When to use -dNOMEDIAATTRS when calling Ghostscript

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 15:04:29 PDT 2016

On 08/15/2016 06:20 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Till,
>
> NOMEDIAATTRS is intended to disable the default Adobe media matching algorithm, otherwise you'll end up with the wrong paper size, etc. from the embedded setpagedevice commands that get used.  I don't know whether it should only be used with the "cups" device or for all of the filtering needs - just do some testing with different media sizes to see what happens... :/

Thank you very much.

For me it seems that this Adobe matching is not actually needed with
CUPS and can be even bad, as Ghostscript probably does not know all
existing page sizes and, in addition, the printer's page sizes are
available in the PPD (static or generated via IPP) and pdftopdf and
often also the printer driver take care of the right sizes by
themselves. So I think that one could put -dNOMEDIAATTRS in all
Ghostscript calls of the CUPS filter chain then.

    Till