[cups] where to store device-specific ICC profiles

Axel Braun axel.braun at gmx.de
Thu Dec 15 01:05:04 PST 2016

Am Mittwoch, 14. Dezember 2016, 20:21:31 CET schrieb Alan Corey:
> > it seems that colord-kde offers an elegant way
> > to add profiles to single printer.
>
> Interesting, thank you.  colord-kde isn't in the Debian/Raspbian
> packages for the Raspberry Pi, I wouldn't have known about it.

There is a colord-gnome as well, which serves as frontend.
BTW, openSUSE offers Leap 42.2 as well for the Raspi

> I found this page on it but nothing about where to put profiles
> https://userbase.kde.org/Color_Management/en
> This page looks like it's mostly for display profiles.  I have a bunch
> of dispcal stuff installed which is also for that.
>
> What backend does it use?  Is it a wrapper around colord?  I'd try the
> documentation for the backend.

Yes, it is build on top of colord

> It's on github at https://github.com/KDE/colord-kde so I'll work at
> building that.  Hopefully there's documentation.

> I'm looking in https://github.com/KDE/colord-kde/archive/master.zip
>
> No obvious documentation.  Looks like it may implement colord instead
> of using the standard one.

eh...what is 'the standard one'?

> Googled "'colord-kde' documentation" and at the page at
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/colord/2013-June/000160.html it
>
> says:
> > You can add the newly added profile to the device using: colormgr
> > device-add-profile $device_path $profile_path
>
> But that's from 2013 for the original colord.  I see dbus stuff in
> master.zip too.
> At least I have a man page for colormgr.
> the colormrg import-profile man page entry says
>
>        import-profile
>
>               Copies an .icc file into  the  correct  per-user  directory
>               and
>               shows information about the imported profile.
>
> If I do "colormgr get-devices" I see:

<snip>
> Which implies it's happy but it doesn't actually work.  No error
> message, just bad color.
>
> I find my icm file as /root/.local/share/icc/HP_cp2025dn_2014_colormunki.icm
> (logged on as root).  I'm pretty sure I didn't put it there manually,
> probably a colormgr command like import-profile.

If I run the above command I see as well the color profile in my directory:
axel at southpole:~> colormgr get-devices
Objektpfad:    /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_MFC9340CDW
Besitzer:      root
Angelegt:      15.Dezember.2016, 08:22:04
Geändert:     15.Dezember.2016, 08:45:15
Typ:           printer
Aktiviert:     Yes
Eingebettet:   No
Modell:        Brother MFC-9340CDW
Hersteller:    Brother
Seriennummer:  lpd://192.168.2.103/binary_p1
Format:        ColorSpace.MediaType.Resolution
Geltungsbereich:temp
Farbraum:      rgb
Gerätekennung:cups-MFC9340CDW
Profil 1:      icc-77d80299db8376649ab2ee910a2a08ab
               /home/axel/.local/share/icc/BrotherMFC9340CDW_Kopierpapier.icm
Profil 2:      MFC9340CDW-RGB..
Profil 3:      MFC9340CDW-Gray..
Metadaten:     OwnerCmdline=/usr/sbin/cupsd -f

As I definitely did not create this today (Angelegt: 15.Dezember.2016,
08:22:04) it seems to run in the background as daemon:

axel at southpole:~> systemctl status colord
● colord.service - Manage, Install and Generate Color Profiles
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/colord.service; static; vendor
preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Do 2016-12-15 09:22:03 CET; 42min ago
 Main PID: 1879 (colord)
    Tasks: 3 (limit: 512)
   CGroup: /system.slice/colord.service
           └─1879 /usr/lib/colord