[cups] One cause of my confusion

Axel Braun axel.braun at gmx.de
Wed Dec 28 04:11:28 PST 2016

Hello Alan,

Am Dienstag, 27. Dezember 2016, 13:28:17 CET schrieb Alan Corey:
> In http://ab1jx.1apps.com/misc/3purples.jpg is a photo I just took of
> 3 printings of a picture of the same flower.  Full sunlight about
> noon.
>
> The top one was printed from Windows and looks the way it looks on my
> monitor.
>
> The middle one was printed through CUPS using my .icm file that I made
> with my ColorMunki.  Same .icm file as the top one, I copied it off
> the Windows machine.
>
> The bottom one was also printed through CUPS but I commented out the
> line in my PPD file that causes the .icm file to be loaded.
>
> The middle one seems to have some purple, more than the bottom one,
> but nowhere near as much as the top.  This may mean something like not
> all .icm files are handled correctly.  CUPS doesn't handle the file
> the same as Windows but seems to be doing something with it.  It was
> seeing some purple in the middle one that made me report that it was
> working then I took it into the other room where the Windows version
> was hanging and realized it wasn't right.  But the bottom 2 were
> printed through CUPS, with and without my .icm file, it seems to have
> done something.  I would expect CUPS to treat it the same way as
> Windows.

Indeed.
Is there maybe another setting that influnences the color handling?
On the printer where I have a color profile activated, I can see in the setting
(localhost:631 -> Printer -> standard settings)
'Color mode' with the options none, vivid, normal.
No idea how this works together.
I *assume* 'none' would be the right setting, as color management is enabled.
Did you try this?

Cheers
Axel