[cups] Problem with random jobs that print a multiple of times with cups-1.6.3-22.el7

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sat Feb 6 12:23:47 PST 2016

Hi Greg,

> What happens is that when the Centos 7 archive server receives a
> command
> to print an archived file on one of the printers inside its own
> network it
> appears to send several print commands to the local Centos 5 server
> which
> causes the file to be printed several times.

Is ErrorPolicy in /etc/cups/printers.conf set to "retry-current-job" or
"retry-job" by any chance for that print queue? I usually use "abort-
job", but think the default is "stop-printer".

Doug

----------

Doug,

Thanks for your help.  The problem actually occurs with any printer on
the local network.  Here is the printer.conf entry on the server that
has the problem.  I have tested the cups system on the Centos 5 server
and it functions without a problem, but when the Centos 7 server tries
to send a pdf file to Centos 5 for printing that is when the
duplications of print jobs occur.  The print job on Centos 7 never
completes, and sends the Centos 5 server a multiple of commands which
are the same file.  The Centos 5 sever creates a new print job for each
command received from Centos 7.  The job id of Centos 7 remains the
same
the job id's of Centso 5 are advanced a sequence number for every
command.

Here is the printer.conf entry for one of the printers.

<Printer lpt8>
UUID urn:uuid:2f148637-0aee-3d8d-5485-dbb320df495d
AuthInfoRequired none
Info HP 1320DN
Location DeGw.EcCare.com
DeviceURI ipp://10.0.0.135:631/printers/lpt8
State Idle
StateTime 1453845699
Reason cups-ipp-conformance-failure-report
Reason cups-ipp-missing-job-history
Type 6
Accepting Yes
Shared No
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
Option cups-browsed true
</Printer>

Everyone,

I never identified the cause or the solution of this problem, but when
a new kernel (3.10.0-327.4.5.el7.x86_64 kernel) was downloaded for
CentOS, the problem seemed to be go away.   The previous kernel
was 3.10.0-327.4.4.el7.x86_64.  cups was '1:cups-1.6.3-22.el7.x86_64'
for both kernels.

The only thing that had changed with the kernel.

Greg