[cups] Question about authentication

Michael Walton waltonm at queensu.ca
Tue Feb 9 20:47:24 PST 2016

Hi I am trying to set up CUPS with moderate success. I set the default authentication mechanism to Kerberos and the Op policy of the printer to authenticated. It would not work *until* I added

 AuthType Default

to the <Location /> section of the cupsd.conf.

(I also set DefaultEncryption to Never because I haven't got a proper certificate at the moment but that's a side issue that can wait).

Also when I used Basic authentication it worked but the AuthType Default line still had to be inserted.

Anyway I guess there is something I'm not understanding. Surely the web interface would do this automatically if it were generally required, so does anyone know what's happening here?

Thank you,

  Michael Walton