[cups] Question about groups.

Michael Walton waltonm at queensu.ca
Tue Feb 9 20:54:12 PST 2016

Hi again mailing list. I have set up cups with moderate success.

However I have got a bit unstuck when it comes to active directory users and local groups on the server. I can add the active directory users

to local groups without any issue. However when I was experimenting

with cups it seemed to me that cups would take username at DOMAIN

and convert it to just username (with the @DOMAIN suffix stripped) before testing for group membership. RIght now the only way I see to use groups for allow, deny lists is to create shadow users without logins for each domain user I want. For instance if I want to treat username at DOMAIN as in a group (from the point of view of cups) I have to create a local user called username and put username in the group.

Am I wrong about this or is there a better workaround that doesn't involve creating local user accounts for no other purpose that this?

   Thank you,

      Michael Walton