[cups] What is the preferd method to connect cups 1.7.5 to cups 1.3.9

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Feb 26 07:30:50 PST 2016

Hello,

On Feb 24 18:05 Pförtsch, Franz wrote:
> I have a large installations of cups 1.3.9 from sles 11.
>
> I am on the transmission to sles 12 with cups 1.7.5.
>
> What is the preferd method to connect these versions.
> I have trouble with lpd and ipp.
>
> My device uri's are like this:
>
> http://<servername>:631/printers/<queue>?version=1.1&waitjobs=false&snmp=false
> lpd://<servername>/<queue>?snmp=false
>
> any help available?

I am afraid, your descripition is too short for me
to understand what exact trouble you have and
what exactly you mean with "connect these versions".

Does your device uris mean you use them on one CUPS server
to sent print jobs via such device uris to another
CUPS server (i.e. do you forward print jobs from one CUPS
server via such device uris to another CUPS server)?

In general regarding how to report a printing issue see
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_Report_a_Printing_Issue

All what I could tell regarding the incompatible
changes between CUPS <= 1.5.4 and CUPS >= 1.6 at the time
when SLES12 was made is mentioned in the SLES12 release notes:
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/

For a bit more information regarding submitting print jobs
from CUPS >= 1.6 to CUPS <= 1.5.4 and vice versa see the

   duplex not working ("Transport endpoint is not connected")

mail thread on this list from Jan 2016, in particular see

http://cups.org/pipermail/cups/2016-January/027434.html

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)