[cups] What is the preferd method to connect cups 1.7.5 to cups 1.3.9

Pförtsch, Franz Franz.Pfoertsch at brose.com
Fri Feb 26 10:08:06 PST 2016

Hello Johannes,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

On wednesday I had the problem between my new central sles12 sp1 cups 1.7.5 printserver to a sles11 sp4 cups 1.3.9 in the location.

The central-server transfers the spool jobs from <local-queue> to the remote cups via the device-uri lpd://<remote-server>/<remote-queue>.
A lot of spooljobs where transfert. It was working for hours, suddenly the spooljobs get stucked in the <local-queue>.
The status of the queue was processing and the spooljobs showed "Data file sent successfully."

After this I tried several device uri's but nothing helped.

On the end I created a new queue to park the spooljobs, because I do not want to loose data. we are in JIT-production.
I moved the jobs to this queue, but this also did not help.

In the end I removed the <local-queue> and created this new. When I started one of the spooljobs the cupd crashed with segfault without a coredump :-(

Today I had the same problem with two Laserprinter (Kyocera FS-4000DN/Canon ADF C53xx).
I solved this situation by modifiying the printer which startet the queue/canceling the printjob)

There seems to be a syncing problem between printjob and printqueue.

But I could no reproduce the situation by my self :-(

I opened a call at our supporter. The Service Request is   # 10994025138

But now again! What is the preferd connection between two cups-daemons?

How should I couple two cups-servers?
Is ipp better then lpd?

A lot of regards
Franz Pförtsch