[cups] Using a network enabled printer from a lappy

Daniel Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Sun Feb 28 17:59:25 PST 2016

Hmm...

Not sure what version the browser got split off into a separate process
& config.  Assuming you're on an older version the BrowsePoll is
appropriate in cupsd.conf.

Let's back up a sec and make sure we're understanding each other.  You
have one or more network-enabled printers that work fine with some
machines.  Those machines have been configured to print directly to the
printer.  You have one machine (laptop) that for whatever reason you
want/need to configure differently and instead send print jobs to one of
the working machines which will in effect become a print server.

Based on that...print sharing needs to be enabled on the designated
print server.  And the laptop needs to be able to reach the print
server.  Share some IP address specifics - you're talking local 192.x
addresses anyway so you're not giving much away.

There's a lot about cups that is supposed to Just Work - and mostly does
- but sometimes...for whatever reason, the automatic
share/browse/find/announce/print whatever doesn't automagically happen.
So explicitly specifying the appropriate commands to force it has
brought me better results.

Things to verify:

1.  Designated print server has a listener on it's IP address.  "lsof -i
:631" should yield results with either the specified IP or the global
*:631.  If it's only the localhost - need to fix that using the Port or
Listen directives.

2.  Print server needs to advertise it's shared printers.
"BrowseLocalProtocols" in cupsd.conf should be "CUPS".  Or specify
"BrowseProtocols CUPS dnssd".

3.  BrowsePoll 192.168.whatever:631 on the laptop should now show the
printer.

4.  From the command line, using "cupsctl" to both display current
settings and make changes may also help shed some light for both your
server and laptop.

--
Daniel