[cups] Using a network enabled printer from a lappy

Daniel Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Sun Feb 28 20:39:15 PST 2016

------ Original Message ------
From: "Gene Heskett" <gheskett at wdtv.com>
To: cups at cups.org
Sent: 2/28/2016 7:40:57 PM
Subject: Re: [cups] Using a network enabled printer from a lappy

>On Sunday 28 February 2016 20:59:25 Daniel Miller wrote:
>
>>  Hmm...
>>
>>  Things to verify:
>>
>>  1.  Designated print server has a listener on it's IP address.  "lsof
>>  -i
>>
>>  :631" should yield results with either the specified IP or the global
>>
>That gets me this on what would be the server, this machine:
>
>gene at coyote:~$ sudo lsof -i :631
>[sudo] password for gene:
>COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
>cupsd   4148 root    6u  IPv4 731126      0t0  TCP *:ipp (LISTEN)
>cupsd   4148 root    9u  IPv6 731127      0t0  TCP *:ipp (LISTEN)
>cupsd   4148 root   11u  IPv4 731130      0t0  UDP *:ipp
So the server is available for cups connections - that's a good thing.

>That _was_ "BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS dnssd", I took out the "Local".
>
>>  3.  BrowsePoll 192.168.whatever:631 on the laptop should now show the
>>  printer.
>>
>No biscuit for the dog yet, boths cups daemons restarted.
>
>But no printers found when firefox is sent to localhost:631/admin and
>find new printers is clicked on.
Instead of "find new printer", try "add printer" - and see if there are
any "discovered network printers".

>>  4.  From the command line, using "cupsctl" to both display current
>>  settings and make changes may also help shed some light for both your
>>  server and laptop.
>
>This printer went belly up with a clean the corona wires error after a
>tree took down half the towns power Wednesday moring about 6ish.
[..]
>Fixed that, sent a cups test page from this machine, worked.
>But while the printer is now seen by the "find new printers" on a
>broswer on the lappy, I still cannot print to it, and cups is still
>demanding the brother drivers.  All it should need is this machines
>address:631 I would think.
>
>Shouldn't there be a "raw" option, which would then let this machine
>sort
>it out?
Are all the machines in question *nix?  I'm not aware of such an option
- normally the printers depend on the drivers to perform at least some
formatting (with the exception of possibly plain text).

>  I am doing exactly that from a legacy machine 30+ yo in the
>basement, using a java app here called drivewire.  I can 'list filename
>>/p" on that old machine, the /p driver has been replaced by one that
>uses a channel of the drivewire protocol to write it to a file on this
>machine. I then open that file and do a cr to lf conversion to make it
>look like a *nix text file, and lp -dprinter_name filename runs it thru
>cups, and in this case stuffs that back down the same USB extension
>cable to a Brother HL-2140 B&W printer, but I could just as easily send
>it to this color laser printer too, I have done it when I was out of
>toner for the HL-2140.
So if you're just pushing a plain text file to the printer - then yes I
suppose a "raw" driver may work - but then you need to configure it
manually.  And if you want it to print something other than plain text
you will need a proper driver - so either need to get it installed on
the laptop or get the laptop talking to a print server.

--
Daniel