[cups] AIX migration

Justin Killen jkillen at allamericanasphalt.com
Mon Feb 29 20:27:29 PST 2016

Hi,

I'm migrating some print queues from AIX lpd to cups (CentOS).  The printers are all impact printers, and the queues in AIX are setup with options for lines per page, cpi, lpi, and columns.  Is there a built-in way to emulate these options in cups queues?  I've seen mention of lpr options "lpr -o cpi=10", "lpr -o lpi=6", and "lpr -o columns=2".  If I just map to those option names, will that work?  And what about lines per page?

To complicate things, some of these printers have multiple forms/tractors.  In AIX, the queues are set with the initialization command option; this command gets sent to the printer just prior to each job.  Does cups have a similar concept that I can leverage without creating custom filters/backends for each queue?

Thanks,
-Justin