[cups-devel] [UNKN] STR #4764: allow setting of default user name from per instance options

Vincent Danjean noreply at cups.org
Thu Feb 4 07:50:32 PST 2016

[STR Unresolved]

I've lots of constraints due to the fact that I cannot configure/manage the
main printer server. The main printer server can be reached by either lpd
or ipp (both services provided by a windows server that allows to print the
job on any of all printers of the building after authentification on the
printer)
  So, to get its print, a user must submit its job with the username he
will be able to authentificate itself on the printer (but the main print
server do not require authentification at submission time, only at printing
time on the printers themselves).

  As the building has several subnetworks and DNS-SD is not used, we
installed on our subnet a local cups server that relay jobs to the main
server (so no local configuration on client is required to be able to
print, avahi being used to propose the printer).
  But, sometimes, user do not have the same login on their laptop and on
the print server.
  So, to avoid the needed to write config files (and to allow to have
different username for different printers as we have the same kind of setup
in another building with different logins), I managed to write a wrapper
against the lpd backend (cf my previous message). I suppose (but I did not
test) that the same trick could possibly be used by the ipp backend (I'm
not sure here as the ipp backend is probably more complex as it is
bidirectionnal).

  That said, sometimes, on the middle (local) cups server, I detect the
submitted user name is wrong. I would like to report this error to the user
(so the error detection occurs *before* the lpd protocol is used). For now,
I did not find how to do it. The job is just quietly discarded. The user do
not see in a job list for example that its job have been discarded. It is
displayed as if it has been sent to the main print server.
  I was asking if there is a correct way for a backend or a filter to
report back to the user that its job has been discarded instead of being
sent to the printer.

Link: https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4764
Version: 2.1.2
Fix Version: None