[cups] Google's driverless local printing protocol

Douglas Kosovic doug at uq.edu.au
Tue Jan 5 20:56:25 PST 2016

Hi,

I noticed when I did a recent update on an Android tablet, it updated the Google Cloud Print service and in its what’s new section amongst other things states :

- Adds support for Google Cloud Print 2.0 printers (driverless local printing, easy setup).

The driverless local printing got me interested and I started looking into it. GCP 2.0 uses the mDNS based based Privet protocol for local printing :
  https://developers.google.com/cloud-print/docs/privet

And there is a CUPS Connector that supports GCP 2.0 driverless local printing :
   https://github.com/google/cups-connector/wiki

That CUPS Connector seems to be already packaged for some linux distributions, like :
  https://packages.debian.org/sid/google-cloud-print-connector

Cheers,
Doug