[cups] CUPS + SAMBA, cups windows print drivers missing

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Thu Jan 7 09:40:00 PST 2016

Jan,

if I remember correctly, the "cupsforwindows“ stuff has been tagged deprecated on the svn.easysw.com website
near the end of the lifetime of this site.
with the crash of that site the stuff still available has migrated to the new web site
www.msweet.org (which is Michael Sweet’s private site).

together with the mentioned deprecation, it has been recommended to use the
PSCRIPT5 driver and its companions (the pretended joint development of Microsoft and Adobe),
which made the use of cupsaddsmb no longer necessary, though some of its features concerning
job options were no longer available.

I myself then developed a replacement for cupsaddsmb, cupsforwindows.pl, a Perl script accompanied by a set
of additional files, including the (hopefully) latest versions of the CUPS6 files formerly available from the svn.easysw.com site.

This package has been tested and frequently used up to and including Windows XP and Samba 2.2 and higher.
It has not been used on Windows Vista and higher, but I think it should work with Windows 7.

Let me know if you are interested.

Helge

PS: The documentation is currently only available in German.