[cups] Canon MG5400 printer, can print from firefox...but from no other application

HÃ¥kon Alstadheim hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
Wed Jan 13 04:51:25 PST 2016

On 01/13/2016 11:41 AM, peter wrote:
> hi,
>

> first:
> when installing the printer, cups looks for a driver and finds one.
> since it can print from firefox - can i assume that it got the right
> driver or is this maybe the problem?

Could still be driver issue,  but I would double-check settings for
paper-size. That is what always gets me. Wrong size in
client/server/pysical printer , and you get an error.

Lots of times a not-so-well-supported printer will print just fine, but
error conditions (like out of paper, wrong size paper) will not be
propagated correctly to the user. So, check everything.

With my latest printer I have also had issues with locale settings,
where the clients locale is not supported by the printer. I hacked
around that by just making cups forget about whatever locale the job was
submitted under. Not so nice, but the really ugly thing is that print
jobs would just SOMETIMES disappear without a trace, depending on the
client loale.

Since then (took a year if I remember correctly) Canon (yes, I know)
came out with a driver-update that was a bit easier to work with. Still
running wheezy in a VM just for the printer-driver though ...

If you want just any kind of output, you can usually make the printer
output letter-size on A4 or vice versa, but it is better if you make the
client and the printer agree on such things.