[cups] Canon MG5400 printer, can print from firefox...but from no other application

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 07:17:57 PST 2016

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:42 PM, peter <commercials24 at yahoo.de> wrote:
> On 01/13/2016 01:07 PM, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 7:41 PM, peter <commercials24 at yahoo.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> first:
>>> when installing the printer, cups looks for a driver and finds one.
>>> since it can print from firefox - can i assume that it got the right
>>> driver
>>> or is this maybe the problem?
>>
>> That would depend on what you installed, no information provided.
>
> i installed cups under debian wheezy, the distro pacakges.
> while adding the printer over wlan, cups told me that it was looking for a
> driver. no error.
> and as said, it does print with firefox.

The name of the driver would be a good start.

> where does cups log what driver it used?

The CUPS web interface will tell you what driver you are using.

>> In gutenprint it is, yes, might be experimental though, so check the
>> gutenprint package NEWS file, and the online web pages to see what the
>> newest package is.
>
> ah yes, its listed as experimental. crap

What is "crap" about that? It means nobody has tested it. I know only
too well how few people care about contributing something, so the
majority of printers will remain labelled as "experimental" because
nobody cares enough to give any feedback, either to say that something
works (and what exactly), or that it is broken (and how), and needs
fixing in some manner.

Regards,
GH