[cups] duplex not working ("Transport endpoint is not connected")

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jan 19 05:10:13 PST 2016

Hello,

On Jan 19 12:15 Martin Vogt wrote (excerpt):
> I try to use duplex printing from my workstations (RHEL7)
> which access a 1.3.9 cups server (SLE11-SP4)
>
> Basic printing works on RHEL7, but nothing more, for
> example download the .ppd.
>
> On RHEL7 (cups 1.6) I get the following error:
>
>> vogt at pxe1[~]>lpoptions -p cpsg0a -l
>> lpoptions: Unable to get PPD file for cpsG0a:
>> Transport endpoint is not connected
>
> With a cups 1.3 client this works:

I did not analyze your straces.

In general CUPS >= 1.6 is not backward compatible
with CUPS < 1.6 in particular when printing via network.

I think a good starting point and summary is in the
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 release notes the
section about ""Printing System: Improvements
and Incompatible Changes Report Bug" in
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/

Excerpt:
CUPS >= 1.6 has major incompatible changes compared
to CUPS up to version 1.5.4 in particular when
printing via network:

The IPP protocol default version increased from 1.1
to 2.0.
Older IPP servers like CUPS 1.3.x (for example in SLE 11)
reject IPP 2.0 requests with "Bad Request"
(see http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4231 ).
By adding '/version=1.1' to ServerName in client.conf
(e.g., ServerName older.server.example.com/version=1.1)
or to the CUPS_SERVER environment variable value or by
adding it to the server name value of the '-h' option
(e.g., lpstat -h older.server.example.com/version=1.1 -p)
the older IPP protocol version for older servers must
be specified explicitly.

I don't know if the CUPS 1.6 version in RHEL7
supports adding '/version=1.1' because
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4231
reads "Fixed In 1.7-current (SVN: r10813)"
which may indicate that CUPS 1.7 is needed.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)