[cups] Problem with random jobs that print a multiple of times with cups-1.6.3-22.el7

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sun Jan 24 08:54:25 PST 2016

Everyone,

I am new to this list, and would appreciate your help.  I am running a
local network with 3 other remote networks that that are controlled by
Centos servers.  The local network as a Centos 5.11 cups print sever
that has functioned without much of a problem for many years.  The
three remote networks are composed of one Centos 5.11 and two Centos
6.7 cups print servers.  The remote systems are working fine and do not
appear to be related to the problem I am having on the local network.

This problem began about four weeks ago with the update of cups-1.6.3-
22.el7 on our mail server that is inside our local network.  I have
posted this problem on the Centos user list as well as filing a BUG
report :

https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=10226

I have not had any responses on the Centos user's list, so I am posting
the problem here with the hopes that some of you may be able to help me
debug this. I would be interested as to whether any one else has had
this problem, and would entertain suggestions as to how I can debug the
problem.  Our cups print servers worked very well until the update
related to cups-1.6.3-22.el7.x86_64 on our Mail/Archive Centos 7
server.

My Centos 5 server is a gateway as well as a cups print server that has
been in place for 8 years and has continued to perform exceptionally
well.

My Centos 7 server is a mail/archive file server that is in the same
network as my Centos 5 server described above.  I have cups active on
this server, which communicates to the Centos 5 server described above
as well as the other remote Centos 5 cups print servers described
above.

The problem that has been occurring for the last four weeks appears to
be related to the Centos 7 mail server or communication failure between
it and the Centos 5 print server in the same network.  What happens is
that when the Centos 7 archive server receives a command to print an
archived file on one of the printers inside its own network it appears
to send several print commands to the local Centos 5 server which
causes the file to be printed several times.  What happens is that the
users eventually turn off the printer to keep the file from being
printed dozens of times, and eventually the cups print queue on the
Centos 5 server becomes full and all the printers in that network
become unreachable with print commands.  It is interesting that the
remote print servers appear to function normally during this time.

The only way I have figured out to remedy the problem is the use the
"cancel -u user" command on the Centos 5 server to get rid of the
command on the Centos 5 server and to use cancel lpt2-xxxxx on the
Centso 7 server to get rid of the command on the archive server.  When
I evaluate the logs, I am either blind to the problem or am not seeing
much I can piece together.   I have the logs set to debug.

Both affected machines have all updates and are listed as :

Gateway and Cups Print Server :
CentOS release 5.11 (Final)
 with 2.6.18-407.el5.centos.plusxen kernel
 with cups-1.3.7-32.el5_11.x86_64

Mail/Archive File server  :
CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)
  with 3.10.0-327.4.4.el7.x86_64 kernel
  with cups-1.6.3-22.el7.x86_64

If any of you have ideas, would sure appreciate your help.

Greg Ennis