[cups-devel] Duplex printing on Brother HL-3150cdw

Éric Brunet Eric.Brunet at lps.ens.fr
Wed Jan 13 14:16:32 PST 2016

I have a brand new Brother HL-3150cdw with the official brother drivers on my fedora
23 machine. It works very fine.

However, there is a small annoyance with Duplex printing. In all the applications I tired
(okular, firefox, libreoffice and more), the options for Duplex are greyed-out, as if the
printer was not Duplex capable. To change duplex options, one must go to the
"Advanced" settings.

It seems that the problem is that, in the ppd file provided by Brother, the Duplex
options are not called Duplex, but BRDuplex. Here is the relevant snip of the .ppd file:

*OpenUI *BRDuplex/Two-Sided: PickOne
Tumble
Tumble/Short-Edge Binding: "          "
Tumble/Long-Edge Binding: "          "

I figured that I would simply add BRDuplex to the lists of possible names, recompile
and install cups, and that everything would work.
It didn't. I did patch cups and cups-filters, installed them, stopped cups.service,
removed /var/cache/cups, restarted cups.service, but duplex options are still greyed-
out in all applications, as without the patch.

I am attaching the patchs. Did I forget something ? Is there a way to make duplexing
working as it should, in an easily selectable way ?

Thanks for any help...

Éric Brunet