[cups-devel] Duplex printing on Brother HL-3150cdw

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Jan 14 08:12:40 PST 2016

Eric,

> On Jan 14, 2016, at 7:18 AM, Éric Brunet <Eric.Brunet at lps.ens.fr> wrote:
>
>> Éric
>>
>> The driver isn't exposing 2-sided printing using the proper, supported
> option name
>> (Duplex).  Please report the bug to Brother...
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the answer. I realize that the name is not the correct one, but
> Brother is not the only one to use an incorrect name: the code for cups
> references the names
> 	EFDuplex
> 	EFDuplexing
> 	KD03Duplex
> 	JCLDuplex
> And this means that cups is a great software which is "liberal in what it
> accepts", as it should be.

Those hacks date before Adobe standardized the Duplex option in the mid 1990's.  They exist solely to support older printers from popular printer/RIP manufacturers of the day, and as it is now 2016 we have no desire or plan to extend this list to include Brother's incorrect choice.

The option can still be activated using the Brother driver's option name, just not using standard OS UI.

(and the problem with being too liberal in what we accept is that you'll end up getting the wrong behavior... Modern computer science does not blindly follow that goal...)

> with the patch I attached, I expected that BRDuplex should work the same. But
> it does not. Is there a cached information somewhere ? Or some program that
> must be recompiled ? Or did I do something wrong ?

If you just edited the PPD file in /etc/cups/ppd, cupsd would not realize that the change has occurred.

And if the print dialog you are using does not look for the CUPS (IPP) sides-supported/sides-default attribute (that we generate from the various duplex options) then it may only support the official, standard Duplex option for that control.