[cups] el capitan cups client

Bob Burton bobburton at math.arizona.edu
Wed Jul 20 18:23:18 PDT 2016

Hi,

I have a cups print server running on Debian wheezy.  I've configured
Ubuntu and Windows clients to print to it.  Now I'm trying to configure an
OS X El Capitan client to print to it.   I tweaked the cupsd.conf file to
match my Ubuntu client setup, but El Capitan is ignoring me--it doesn't see
the printers on the wheezy print server, but does come up with a list of
bonjour printers that I'd rather not see at all (mostly ink jet printers
hooked up to desktops and inadvertently shared).

Am I trying to do something unnatural?  Do I really need to add all the
printers through the system preferences GUI?  The print drivers need to be
installed locally?  Seems brutally painful...

--
Bob Burton
IT Support Analyst
520-626-8203 -- bobburton at math.arizona.edu